How to Do Your School Homework Effectively
If you are looking for the way to do your homework fast and well, here are the tips that will help you:
- Realize that homework is good for you. Many students procrastinate on their homework just because they hate it. View it as an opportunity to earn extra points and to prepare for tests.
- Set out to do your homework at the same time every day. If you make it a habit to get down to your studies at say 4 pm, your mind will be more productive at this time.
- Prepare your workplace. Choose a quiet, comfortable, and well-lit spot. Make sure that you have all your textbooks, dictionaries, paper, and utensils. Turn on your favorite music if it helps you concentrate, but switch off your smartphone – it is nothing but a distraction. You can hear all the news from your friends after you complete your homework.
- Make sure to note down all your assignments as they are given. Check right away whether you fully understand them. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask your teachers. They are there to help you.
- Plan the order in which you will do your assignments. It is a good idea to start with the ones that will bring you more points.
- Make a schedule for larger projects and follow it. You don’t want to put them off till the last minute, where you’re too busy with smaller and more urgent tasks. Large assignments are usually more important for your grades.
- Find your working rhythm. To study efficiently, you absolutely need to take breaks; the question is how long and frequent they should be. Some people are comfortable working for an hour and then having 10 minutes of rest, while others need 5-minute breaks after each half hour. Use this time to walk around. To prevent your breaks from becoming too long, set a timer.
- Keep a glass of mineral water in your reach while you study. Eat a snack when you need it. Being hungry or dehydrated may hinder you from concentrating on homework.
- Organize information. When you take notes, be sure to stress the main points. For large homework assignments, prepare a good outline. Try making flashcards to help you memorize what you need to learn by heart.
- Use the bits of time you have throughout the day. When on a long bus ride or waiting in a queue, look over your notes or even start doing your homework. You may be surprised at how little there will be left for you to do when you get home.